Lays SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Lays: Lays is a well-known label made of potatoes. It belongs to Frito Lays which is a completely controlled subsidiary owned by Pepsico. The potato chips can be found in various varieties Some of which are international such as American Cheese and some others are regional such as India’s magic masala. The chips have numerous popular variations such as Classic salted Spanish Tomato Tango, Lays Cheddar and Sour Cream, LaysFlamin Hot, and so on.
A leading market player in the majority of markets, it is part of Frito Lays and controls 56 % of the market share in the American market which is among the largest. Lays is among the most popular potato chips brands and does not earn sales of around 1.2 billion dollars. Lays was launched for the first time in the year 1932. Since then, it has managed to keep pace with the competition and keep its lead in the market.
Lays fun facts: There are more than 200 different varieties of Lay’s available in the world with most of them being region and country specific.
About Lays – SWOT analysis of Lays
CEO: Steven Williams
Founder: Herman Lay
Year founded: 1940
Headquarters: Plano, Texas, United States
Annual Revenue: USD$3.62 Billion
Profit | Net income: USD$$1 billion
Number of employees: 55,000
Products & Services: Lay’s and Ruffles potato chips | Doritos tortilla chips | Tostitos tortilla chips and dips | Cheetos cheese flavored snacks | Fritos corn chips | Rold Gold pretzels | Sun Chips | Cracker Jack popcorn
SWOT analysis of Lays – Lays SWOT analysis
SWOT Analysis Of Lays is brand-based. SWOT Analysis of Lays evaluates the brand’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Advantages and disadvantages can be attributed to internal factors while opportunities and threats can be attributed to external factors. We will be discussing Lays’s SWOT Analysis. Below is the detailed SWOT Analysis of Lays.
Let’s talk about Lays’s SWOT assessment.
Strengths of Lays – Lays SWOT analysis
- Global, yet local: Lays has been a well-known flavor for potato chips around the globe due to the fact that they contain flavor options that are widely accepted such as Classic Salted or American Cheese but they also come with local flavors such as Spanish Tomato Tango or India’s magical masala. These flavors provide an Indian flavor for the company.
- Frito Lays: Frito Lays is a long-standing snacking company that has proven to be a constant top performer in this sector. The company holds an estimated market share of over 35 percent in the market for snack chips, as well as 60 percent of the market within the United States. Frito Lays also has five of the top chips in the world. brands, including Lay’s Ruffles Doritos Tostitos as well as Cheetos each of which provides Frito Lays an annual revenue of one billion dollars. The company is present in every popular category of chips like the tortilla chip, potato chip, and corn chip industries. This knowledge Lays the necessary backing in the category of chips.
- Large distribution channel: Pepsico which is the company that owns Lays has a wide distribution network. This means that Lays can be found in remote areas, which has in turn gained popularity by a large amount.
- The target segment: Lays is a brand that has the correct segment to target its primary market which is young adults. Through captivating advertisements and brand ambassadors that reflect youthfulness, energy, and energy, the company has captured thousands of children all over the world.
- Local Sourcing: One of the most important tactics used by Fritolays to gain the trust of its customers was to introduce local sources and connect them to the vendor via one of their initiatives ” Lays Local Campaign” which was first introduced in 2009. With this program, customers were able to meet five local farmers cultivating potatoes for Fritolays. This was done to make sure that the client was completely confident about the farmer’s source.
Weaknesses of Lays – SWOT Analysis Of Lays
- A decrease in snack consumption: There has been a drop in the consumption of snacks globally due to the increasing health risks. This decrease has impacted sales of Lays in a negative way.
- Low margins: There is very high competition in the market for snacks and there is little room for differentiation apart from the flavoring. The range of price differentiation is limited because the consumer extremely price sensitive. This means that brands have to maintain the prices at any level they can and the margins are extremely low.
- The lack of innovations: In a snack like Frito Lays, there is little room for the development of new ideas. This means that Frito Lays, the brand Lays that has been around for quite a while has lost shares of the market to lesser competitors and the lack of customer loyalty from its customers has them switching brands more frequently.
Opportunities of Lays – Lays SWOT analysis
- Healthy snacks: There was a shift in the preference of snack foods towards healthy snacks. This has led to the development of an industry for bakery snacks, as well as healthy snacks. These are the areas that Lays will be looking into to develop new businesses.
- Exposure: In comparison to previous years, the public is more conscious of global brands and flavors, which means that there is more scope to expand the range of products offered by Frito Lays.
Threats of Lays – SWOT analysis of Lays
- Competition: Some of the major rivals of Lays include Ruffles, Doritos, Tostitos, and Cheetos. There is also growing competition from many local brands.
You May Also Like:
- Pampers SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Pampers
- Pears Soap SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Pears Soap
- Oriflame SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Oriflame
- Nirma SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Nirma
- Neutrogena SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Neutrogena
Overview Template of Lays SWOT analysis
Lay’s is a well-versed snack brand that has been established. It is one of its kind of snack brand. The band has done its strategies well to stand its position on the continent. Lay’s has to work on launching healthy variants of its product so that Lay’s can get rid of some uncertain boycotts.
But being such a huge brand serving chips and products across multiple countries, Lay’s should continue to innovate and develop more products and launch them in the market with the best possible marketing strategies.
This is the SWOT analysis of Lays. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.